roland-arranger.com user club
April 18, 2014, 05:56:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: User registration is currently disabled. If you want an account, please send an e-mail to registration@roland-arranger.com. In the e-mail inform us about your desired username and e-mail address and we will create a user account for you manually. You will recieve an e-mail, when your new account has been created.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GW8,,reading styles in the USB drive  (Read 4130 times)

denys

Canada Canada

My keyboard is:
Roland GW8L,Yamaha PSR S910.Hammond B3.DGX 530

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »

Hi guys,I just want to play the styles in my USB drive,,but looks I have to download in the keyboard first,,,but I don't want to download in the keyboard,,I just want the keyboard read the files and play without downloading in the keyboard,, ,just read the stick,,,, I check in my manual,,,but looks is not possible,,,you have to download in the keyboard,,,,am I correct or I'm missing some things,,,,because I can do it with my Yamaha without a permanent download,,,you can just read and play the styles inside the stick,,,of course if you remove the stick,,,can't read...

denys
Diki

United States United States

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:38 PM »

No, you got it right... You have to load the styles into the GW-8 first. Mind you, 100 User Styles is a LOT of styles to have online before you need to load any more! Once in there, they are non-volatile, so you don't need to reload them every time.

But yes, you are right... it IS strange that the GW8 can read .Wav's and MP3's and SMF's directly from the stick, but NOT styles. Perhaps Roland will either make another OS that can do this or correct this on the next GW model. But ONLY if all those that would like this contact Roland directly AND post about it here and make some noise - the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
cminor-gw8

Romania Romania

My keyboard is:
GW-8 E 2.0 , Fantom XR 2.02 , Edirol PCR-500

View Profile WWW Awards

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »

Or just a PC Player, to listen to the styles, before uploading them to the GW-8
Diki

My keyboard is:
G70, SRX-07, SRX-06, SRG-01, BK-7m, BK-9

View Profile Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »

You know, in the big picture, the few SECONDS it takes to load up the styles, and then restore your original set afterward is hardly a major hassle Tongue Kiss

There's never been a Roland style player (other than the expensive and buggy EMC software). They guard their style format jealously, unlike Yamaha, which is basically a modified SMF (change a Yamaha style's suffix from .STL to .MID, and it opens in any sequencer Shocked) and easy to get at.

But, all in all, even the TOTL Roland's need to hook up to a computer to transfer in styles before you can listen to them. I just use a card specifically for auditioning, then transfer to the Internal what I'll actually use. Sure, in a perfect world, Roland would read directly from the USB stick, and maybe, if you bitch directly at Roland and their dealers, reps and tech support, they MIGHT add it. But, in the long run, the slight inconvenience of this hasn't made me want to use anything else...  Wink

In the future, everyone will be famous for 15MB....
cminor-gw8

Romania Romania

My keyboard is:
GW-8 E 2.0 , Fantom XR 2.02 , Edirol PCR-500

View Profile WWW Awards

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:35:12 AM »

The fact, that you CAN'T load just ONE style, and you have to load them ALL.. is the thing that we don't like.
And that because, if you have 300 Styles, at the point of reaching 100 on the GW-8 or memory is full, you have to see what style was oaded, erase the one that you don't like, erase them on the usb stick too, and start all over again, with the one's left...
Now that takes time, and time, and time, and it's really a waste o time actually.
Ric4001

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »

I know this is an old thread, but in light of the new BK7m being able to read styles directly from USB, I wanted to raise this issue again for the GW8 and add my support for Roland to add this feature to the GW8 in the next OS release.  It does take a good 4 to 5 minutes for me to erase the user bank and load in a new bank of 100 user styles on the GW8.  That's way too much time to be sitting around idle just to audition some more styles and find what I'm looking for.  I use arrangers for songwriting and inspiring new song ideas, so instant access to lots of styles is key for me.  For me, this feature, and adding some kind of style assembly feature like the Yamaha arrangers have, are the two key features missing from my GW8.
Geraldo Arnaud Santos

View Profile Awards

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »

Hello friend, Roland will surely update this version GW8, and will fix this to be more practical and faster to work in real time the stick styles. It's what we want ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: